Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300° F. and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form and the meringue is glossy.
- Gently fold in the cocoa.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the lined baking sheets or put the meringue into a decorating bag and pipe it onto the baking sheets.
- Bake at 300° for 30 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through the baking time.
- After 30 minutes, do not open the oven door. Turn the oven off and leave the cookies for 2 hours until cool.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/chocolate-meringue-cookies/