Recipe: Lentils with Bacon and Mashed Potatoes
- ½ pounds lentils
- salt & pepper
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 large onion
- mashed potatoes
- vinegar (optional)
- Cook the lentils in a quart of water for an hour or until soft. Add more water as needed. Do not drain. Keep the liquid as a gravy. After they have cooked, add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the bacon, reserving the grease.
- Chop the onion and cook it in some of the bacon grease. Cut or crumble the bacon and add it to the onions.
- Make mashed potatoes as you normally would. You could even use instant potatoes.
- To serve, put a serving of mashed potatoes on a plate, then top with lentils, and onions and bacon. Sprinkle with vinegar if desired.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/lentils-with-bacon-and-mashed-potatoes/