Winter Vegetable Soup
Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (make sure it is gluten free)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced ¼ inch (1¼ cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced ¼ inch (3/4 cup)
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut in ½ inch chunks (3½ cups)
- 2 potatoes, cut in ¾ – 1 inch chunks (2½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 – 1½ pounds sausage, ground turkey or ground chicken, cooked (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the onion until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and heat to boiling.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- If adding meat, cook and drain.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and puree with a hand blender or carefully transfer in batches to a stand blender.
- Stir in the meat if using.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/winter-vegetable-soup/