Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Author: Linda Etherton
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter (or substitute, try shortening and coconut oil)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cups rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light in color.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Gradually add to the mixing bowl with the mixer on low.
- Increase the mixer speed and beat until it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Wrap the dough in wax paper or plastic wrap and flatten it out some. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Working with half of the dough at a time, place the chilled dough on a silicone mat. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and roll to ¼ inch thick.
- Remove the plastic wrap and use cookie cutters to cut shapes from the dough. Carefully transfer with a spatula to a lined baking sheet.
- Gather the scraps and reroll. If dough has warmed too much and become too soft and sticky to handle, return to the refrigerator to cool.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for about 10 minutes or until the edges are just starting to brown. Remove from oven and cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Recipe by The Gluten-Free Homemaker at http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/sugar-cookies-cut-out/