If you like a comforting beef stew with tender meat, it’s easy to make it gluten free, and a slow cooker is the perfect way to cook it. This recipe is easy to throw together. Let the crock pot do most of the work and at dinner time just add a salad for a complete meal.
I use rice flour or any other gluten-free flour to coat the meat and thicken the stew. The flour is really optional, though. I have made it with only two tablespoons of flour and without any. The only thing that changes is the thickness of the stew (and the amount of carbs), but it doesn’t take anything away from the flavor of the meat and vegetables.
If you enjoy drinking wine with your meal, check out the wine pairing suggestions to go with this Beef Stew recipe at Wine4.Me (a great app to help you find wine you will enjoy based on what you already like).
- 2 pounds stew meat, cubed
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1½ cup beef broth
- Place the meat in the crock pot. Sprinkle the flour, salt, and pepper over top and stir to coat the meat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Stir and remove the bay leaf before serving.