May’s Keeping a Clean Kitchen task is to clean out your refrigerator and freezer. I haven’t done much with my refrigerator yet, but I have cleaned out my chest freezer.
It was an unplanned event, but one day I was looking for sweet rice flour that I needed for a recipe. I often store extra flours in my chest freezer because I buy a lot at one time.
So this particular day I trying to find the sweet rice flour in my chest freezer, but everything was so disorganized, I wasn’t sure if there was any in there or not. On top of that, the frost was accumulating, and the freezer needed a good defrosting and cleaning. See:
I decided to forget about the recipe I was going to make, and clean out the freezer instead. I got out several coolers and began to empty the freezer. A few things were thrown out, some things were used right away (such as a can of frozen juice concentrate and some dog bones), but most things simply got reorganized. And I did find the sweet rice flour.
I won’t show you how dirty the bottom of the freezer was, but this is how it looked after I defrosted and cleaned it:
Notes on defrosting a chest freezer:
- The freezer does not need to get completely warm and all of the frost be completely melted.
- Once it warms up a little, I find that I can loosen the frost from the sides using a plastic spatula or my hands.
- Whole slabs of ice will come loose, and I pile them into a bucket and dump them in a sink or outside.
- Notes on organizing a chest freezer:
- Remember that any storage place needs to be reorganized occasionally.
- I have tried different methods, but the one that works best for me is the bag method.
- Sort contents by placing similar items in reusable grocery bags. My bags include categories such as meat, seafood, vegetables, bread, flour, oats, etc.
- You can stack a couple of bags on top of others, but keep room to move the upper layer so you can see what is below.
- Place items in the proper bag after returning from the store so it stays organized.
Be sure to come back tomorrow for a creamy and flavorful recipe.