Summer time is ice cream season. Whether you eat regular dairy ice cream, or a dairy free version, chocolate syrup is always a welcome topping. Chocolate syrup is also very easy to make.
Making your own chocolate syrup will save you money and taste just as good, if not better, than what you can buy at the store.
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash salt
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly for five minutes.
- Cool and then store in the refrigerator. The syrup will thicken as it cools.