The following is a guest post from Zoe and Mia who blog at Sprinkle of Vanilla Sugar. Zoe and Mia are twin sisters who are both aspiring to be naturopathic doctors. They love to cook and are inspired by their world travels.
Thank you so much, Linda, for letting us guest post on Gluten-Free Homemaker. Linda is truly inspirational and has some incredible gluten-free recipes! We are honored to be able to share this simple recipe, which is so easy to put together! For those of you who love the combination of chocolate and banana, this is definitely something you want to try.
These Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches are healthy, grain-free, gluten-free, and vegan. It’s a chocolate “nice-cream” sandwich cookie! Who doesn’t love a scoop of luscious, creamy banana ice cream sandwiched between fudgy dark chocolate cookies?
You can even throw nuts or coconut flakes into the cookie and/or use a mix of frozen fruit to change up the flavor of the ice-cream.
Trust me, they are ridiculously simple, cheap, and absolutely delicious! This is a guilt-free treat that is perfect for the summer.
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal/chia seed egg
- ⅓ cup vegan dark chocolate chips + more for topping
- 3 bananas, sliced and frozen for at least several hours (see notes)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, mix together flax meal, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except for dark chocolate chips) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Mix in your chocolate chips with a spatula.
- On parchment paper lined tray (this will it make it easier than simply greasing the tray), equally divide the batter into 10 cookies. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top and flatten the cookie (so you get that crispy cookie). Add a couple more chocolate chips for the top.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes in the oven. Allow it to cool completely (20 minutes). Place in fridge or freezer till ready to serve (this will help firm up the cookie so its easier to handle).
- In a blender, blend bananas, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla together till you get a nice smooth consistency.
- Serve immediately with cookies and make your ice cream sandwiches!
Peel the banana and slice. Place in a zip top bag and freeze for at least a of couple hours before using.