With all my muffin recipes last month, I haven’t posted a good dinner recipe in a while. This one is a favorite. It’s not a quick and easy meal so I don’t make it often, but then it is a special treat when I do make it.
I don’t remember where I found the original recipe. It was easily converted to gluten free by substituting rice flour for wheat flour and using gluten-free spaghetti. I’ve made a couple of other small changes, including omitting the milk and increasing the stock. It’s not a dairy free recipe because it does include cheese, but I prefer to cut back on the amount of dairy I’m using, and this recipe is still terrific without the milk.
This is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken, and I’m sure turkey would work well too. I roasted a large chicken one night, made stock from the carcass, and had this the next night. This recipe has enough parts to it that you really want to have the chicken already cooked, and you can’t beat homemade stock.
- 16 ounces broccoli florets (I use frozen for this)
- 12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti (I use Tinkyada)
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (~6 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ cup rice flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 ounces shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons white cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon salt (vary according to the stock you use and your taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Steam the broccoli until just tender.
- Cook and drain the pasta.
- In a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in butter for several minutes.
- Add the oregano and basil and cook another minute.
- Add three cups of the chicken stock to the skillet.
- Combine 1 cup of cold chicken stock with the flour. Add to the skillet and whisk together.
- Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes, stirring/whisking frequently.
- Add the cheese, wine, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chicken.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place half the spaghetti in the bottom of the dish.
- Add half the broccoli.
- Top with half the chicken mixture.
- Repeat the layers. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.