Chicken and broccoli have been a favorite combination of mine since childhood. That’s why chicken divan is a dish I’ve been making for years.
Sometimes I throw together an easy version that uses leftover chicken pieces, and sometimes I make this version.
The trick is to cook the chicken most of the way on the stove top, but not completely so that it will finish cooking in the oven rather than become over cooked.
Since the recipe contains cheese, I put most of it into a large dish for the family, and make a small casserole dish with Daiya cheese that I can eat.
- 1½ – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 recipe cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the broccoli.
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Cut in half. Cook the chicken breasts in a skillet in a little butter or oil until no longer pink.
- Make the cream of chicken soup then whisk in the milk, mayonnaise, mustard, and pepper.
- Arrange the chicken and broccoli in a baking dish.
- Spread the soup mixture over top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 – 30 minutes or until the chicken is done and the cheese is melted.