When I search for chicken cacciatore recipes, I’m surprised by how different they all look. Some look like chicken parmesan, one looks like a stew, and countless others are somewhere in between. I don’t know if this recipe is what you picture when you think of chicken cacciatore, but I do know that it tastes good.
I used boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, but thighs would work well too, or a combination. You should use skinless pieces, but it would be okay to use bone-in. In fact, if you like moist chicken, bone-in chicken thighs are a great economical choice. To ensure that boneless breasts turn out moist, try brining them first.
Most chicken cacciatore recipes include mushrooms. I enjoy them, but not all of my family does, so I didn’t use any. If you like mushrooms, just add sliced mushrooms of choice to the bottom of the crock pot with the vegetables. Update: I found that if I dice the mushrooms small, no one minds them.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup diced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (14.5 oz. diced tomatoes)
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot starch
- 3 Tablespoon water
- Place the onion, pepper, and garlic in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Place the chicken pieces on top.
- Combine the tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, chicken broth, wine, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on high 3 – 4 hours or low 7 – 8 hours, or until chicken is done.
- If cooking on low, turn the heat setting to high. Remove the chicken pieces.
- Combine the corn starch and water and whisk it into the liquid.
- Heat on high for about 30 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve the chicken and sauce over pasta or rice.
This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.