Years ago I used a chicken and rice recipe similar to this that cooked in the oven. It contained white rice, canned condensed soup, and onion soup mix.
This version uses brown rice, homemade condensed soup, and onion. It is still a delicious basic filling recipe that my guys enjoy. I used poultry seasoning, but feel free to try different seasoning that appeals to you.
It’s very difficult to give cooking instructions for slow cooker recipes because depending on the age, brand, and size of your slow cooker the cooking time and temperature will vary. I have a 6 quart cooker and cook most foods on low for 3 1/2 – 4 hours. If you have cooked chicken in your cooker before, you should have an idea of how long it needs to cook at a given setting.
- 1 recipe gluten-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 c. chicken broth (make sure it’s gluten free)
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1½ c. brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 chicken breast halves, 2½ – 3 lbs. (I used boneless and skinless)
- In a medium sized pot prepare the cream of chicken soup.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chicken broth, poultry seasoning and pepper.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker and add the brown rice and onion.
- Pour most of the soup mixture over the rice, reserving about ½ cup.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice and pour the remaining soup over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.