Chicken and broccoli have always been a favorite combination of mine, and they are perfect when paired in a stir fry. I also love mushrooms, but don’t use them often because my husband doesn’t like them. This particular evening he wasn’t home for dinner. Of course, I had to pick out the mushrooms when I packed his lunch, but that was okay.
For some reason my kids have never like eating foods layered on top of each other. What I mean is they won’t eat stir fry on top of rice. They want their rice separate. It’s fine if foods are already combined, but to purposely combine them on your plate just doesn’t make sense to them. When they were little, I just thought it was a little kid thing. Well, now they are 20, 17, and 14 and still eat the same way. I still find it odd, but I’m fine with it.
I ate my stir fry with rice.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (I used soy-free coconut aminos)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups cut broccoli
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons high heat oil (I used coconut oil and palm oil)
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sugar to the chicken and mix to combine.
- Let the chicken sit to marinate while you cut the broccoli and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a wok or large skillet.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms. Stir fry 3 – 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender crisp and the mushrooms are soft. Remove to a bowl.
- Put an additional tablespoon of oil in the skillet and add all of the chicken mixture. Stir and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine the wine, water, and cornstarch. Add the mixture to the skillet and stir until heated and thickened.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms to the chicken in the skillet and heat until the broccoli is hot through.
- Serve with rice.
Submitted to: Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Real Food Weekly at The WHOLE Gang.