Two of my three boys are fair skinned with reddish hair. They sunburn easily which is one of the reasons summer is not my favorite season. We haven’t had a pool membership for a number of years, but we did when they were little.
The problem was that even with 30 or 50 spf sunscreen, my oldest would burn anytime before 4 pm. As a result 4:00 – 6:00 was our usual pool time. On Sundays, we often went as a family and ate dinner there—a cold dinner that I could pack in the cooler.
This salad was one of my stand-by recipes for such occasions. It still reminds my boys of those days. While it works as a cold meal, we prefer it warm so I suggest trying it that way first.
- 3 cup cooked brown rice (variety of your choice)
- 1½ cups cooked chicken or ham, cut in small chuncks
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Italian salad dressing
- If serving this warm, cook the rice and heat the chicken or ham.
- Combine the rice, chicken or ham, green onions and almonds. You could use the pot you cooked your rice in.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and salad dressing. Pour over the rice mixture and stir to coat.
This recipe is linked to the following food carnivals which are not gluten-free, but are still a good resource.