I finally did it. After eleven years of being gluten free, I finally made a gluten-free bread stuffing. The reason it took so long is that I didn’t miss it. It was never a big part of our Thanksgiving meal, and when we did have it, it was the store bought stove top kind.
The past couple of years I have used Shirley’s tortilla chip stuffing recipe. I guess that put me back in the mood for stuffing. It’s a really easy recipe and tastes pretty good, but it’s not quite the same as a bread stuffing. It’s probably more similar to a corn bread stuffing in flavor since tortilla chips are made from corn.
Obviously, I’m no stuffing expert, but this turned out very good. My picky eater said it was the best stuffing he’s ever had. One of my other kids wanted to know why we only have stuffing at Thanksgiving. He’d be happy to have this stuffing more often.
I chose to use poultry seasoning because I like to take some shortcuts where I can, and because it has such a classic stuffing flavor. I can put poultry seasoning on anything and my husband says, “It tastes like stuffing.” Personally, I think it should be called stuffing seasoning. If you prefer, you can use individual herbs, but I don’t have any amounts to give you. If you do use poultry seasoning, be sure to read the label since it is a combination of things and make sure there’s nothing off limits in it. There shouldn’t be, but make sure.
- 1 recipe gluten-free French bread (two loaves), cooled and cubed (about 12 cups)
- 1½ cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves (about 3 med. stalks)
- ½ cup butter or margarine (I used ¼ c. clarified butter + ¼ c. Earth Balance soy free margarine)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dry out the bread cubes somewhat by placing them in a large rectangular baking dish or jelly roll pan. Put them in the oven for about 15 minutes while preparing the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
- Sauté the onion and celery in the butter until soft.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and combine with all the ingredients, gently tossing to coat well.
- Butter the baking pan or dish that you were using for the bread crumbs. Add the stuffing and bake for 30 minutes.