These gluten-free apple bars are technically a dessert, but I have to admit that I had some for breakfast this morning. Well, they do have oatmeal, apples, and some nuts!
I’ve already said that I’m a fan of bars because they are quicker and easier than making cookies. You could try these in cookie form, but I think the recipe lends itself particularly well to bar form.
However, old fashioned rolled oats have a tendency to make things fall apart. These bars hold together pretty well, but I’m not sure how they would do as cookies. Another option is to break up the oats in a food processor for a bit, or use instant oats.
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free flour mix (I used a sorghum mix)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1½ cups gluten-free oats
- ⅓ cup gluten-free flour mix
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled and chopped
- ⅔ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- ¾ cup raisins (optional)
- Beat together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until fluffy.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and xanthan gum. Add, along with the oats, to the butter mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Stir together the ⅓ cup flour, apples, nuts, and raisins. Fold into the mixture.
- Spread into a greased 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool before cutting.
Disclosure: This post contains one or more affiliate links. If you click on a link and buy something, I receive a small percentage of the sale.